Monday, October 6, 2014

Adventure is Out There! 9.22.14

Dear Family, 

Can I just say that a mission has been the best adventure in my life so far? It's been crazy!! I love it! The highs, the lows (not so much but they help me appreciate the highs that much more!), and everything in between. I LOVE all that I have learned on my mission so far and I LOVE being a missionary!

This week was great! We taught more lessons this week than I have in whole transfers. Embarrassing to admit but WMU is such a different area! We taught 9 lessons this week which was an adventure in and of itself! They are all different people with different needs. On top of that Sister Fehlman and I are working on blending our teaching styles so it was a blessing that we got so many opportunities to teach. Right now we're working on finding some solid progressing investigators. We may have gotten one or two from this past week's work. I have really high hopes for our investigator Tyler. 

Tyler is just awesome. Sister Cunningham and I taught him the Plan of Salvation a couple weeks ago and he loved it. The Spirit was SO STRONG and Sister Cunningham and I were pumped after that lesson! We probably could have karate chopped bricks or something because we were so pumped. Sister Fehlman and I taught him this last week about the Restoration and again, we couldn't have asked for better answers to our questions and comments during the lesson. It was AWESOME. He is just so prepared!!! I want him to be baptized SO BAD. The only hitch is that his girlfriend is Catholic and if he wants to marry her, he needs to be Catholic or agree to raise their kids Catholic. Hard to do when you're a member of the Church, right? ;) We committed him to read Moroni 10 and pray about it. We're praying for good things to come! 

Other exciting news of the week: we got hugged by a boy and "Sin Awareness Day" was last Thursday. Sister Fehlman and I were talking to this guy and as we're closing our conversation he spreads his arms and says, "Bring it in team, bring it in." and draws us in for the most awkward huddle hug EVER. It was one of those moments where you have so many thoughts coming into your head all at once (most of them consisting of "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" something like that....) that you just end up not doing anything. Just sitting here typing about it makes me feel incredibly awkward. I have officially become that missionary who just can't even process hugging boys. Heaven help me when I get home. Handshakes, anyone?

"Sin Awareness Day" is when this street preacher comes and tells everyone how they're sinning. People have been warning us for about a month now that he would make his debut  and we finally got to witness it first hand. Let me throw this out there: the Gospel of Jesus Christ is 100% true. I am so grateful for the Holy Spirit that brings feelings of love, peace, long-suffering, and joy. I admire the prophets and apostles of old who could stand in the streets/walls/etc and declare the Word of God because it requires a lot of courage. I admire this man who felt it was his mission to help people be aware of their sins. I just wish it didn't bring a sick feeling whenever we had to walk by it. I often think about how the prophets in the Book of Mormon taught the gospel and how Christ taught the gospel. It all has to be done with the Spirit and with charity. Apparently he comes around often so it should be interesting to see what else happens this semester.

I remember telling you about the fast that Sister Cunningham and I had at the beginning of last transfer where we fasted for 5 new investigators and I don't think I ever told you what happened. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. For that week at least. At first, Sister Cunningham and I were a little discouraged and wondered why our fast didn't work. I felt like we should keep praying for it and every week of that transfer we set 5 new investigators as our goal. Still, no 5 new investigators. Well, transfers came and went and Elder Baker, the district leader, called me one night to talk to me. He knew that we had fasted for 5 new investigators and obviously he knew that we hadn't reached it any week. But what he said shocked me, "You reached 6 new investigators last transfer. I just totaled up your numbers for the transfer and you got 6 new investigators." I was dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say. I felt instantly humbled because not only had Heavenly Father answered our prayers but He had blessed us with even more. That's just unfair. I feel like I don't deserve the blessings He gives me but He blesses me each and every day with more than I deserve. I know that fasting is the means of obtaining blessings and I know Heavenly Father hears AND answers every prayer. Don't lose your faith when answers don't come right away because I am positive that what Heavenly Father has for you is better than what you've even asked for. 

I know this is a long email but I finally had some time to write a little more. I love you all so much and I am so grateful for your prayers! Have an amazing week!!

Love, Sister Jensen
Hmmm.  Time for some "sole" searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment