Monday, August 25, 2014

Normal Stuff Missionaries Do 8.25.14

Dear Family,                                                                                                     August 25, 2014

It sounds like you had quite more excitement than I did this week! A 6.0 earthquake? That's nothing to be shy about! I'm glad that you were all okay and that no serious damage was done. I hope those people who are in the hospital will be okay. Hearing about your experience just strengthens my resolve to be a HAM operator....

My week wasn't quite as exciting. About the most exciting thing that happened this week was getting kicked out of an apartment complex haha. We had torrential downpours that was quite fun to walk through (bad day to wear my toms...), talked to a couple of intoxicated people, got called "the most beautiful woman I have ever seen" twice in one day, went on trade-offs, participated in zone conference and did all the normal stuff missionaries do.
 

Being a campus missionary is like serving a completely different mission. When I was in Rockford, everyone had a religion based on faith in Jesus Christ. Since being on campus, I have run into Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, all Christian denominations, and "spiritual" people. In a way I've had to relearn being a missionary! Instead of just assuming people have a faith in Jesus Christ, I have to begin talking to people by asking people if they even have a faith in God. It's a lot harder than my last area, that's for sure! It's been a tremendous learning experience and an incredible blessing for my testimony though. Things that I never thought about or questioned I now I have to find answers to everyday. Not only do I have a testimony that this church was established by Jesus Christ through a prophet named Joseph Smith but I am gaining a testimony that this is the only true religion on the face of the earth, that God is our loving Heavenly Father, and that Heavenly Father has a plan of each of us. I never thought I would have such a diverse mission experience in little ol' Michigan! I have yet to meet that person I'm "supposed to meet" but I think more and more that my mission was for me to have experiences that were necessary for me to become the daughter Heavenly Father wants me to be. Being here at WMU is another step forward in that progression. 

This quote by President Joseph Fielding Smith stood out to me this week: "The Spirit of God speaking to the spirit of man has power to impart truth with greater effect and understanding than the truth can be imparted by personal contact even with heavenly beings." Isn't that incredible to think about?? The greatest witness we can receive is from the Holy Ghost! A lot of people we talk to want "proof" that God is real. When we tell them that we've gained our testimonies through the Holy Ghost, it never seems good enough for them. We live in an age dominated by science and man's understanding and a lot of people tell us that we can no longer trust our feelings. But I bear witness that the Holy Ghost will speak to us in a way that is clear and understandable. I know that the only proof we can trust is the witness of the Holy Ghost. Even Alma who saw an angel (multiple times even) said that he gained his testimony through the Holy Spirit (Alma 5:45-46). The Holy Ghost is incredible and we are so blessed to have it in a day where people are confused. If you don't believe it, go and watch the news. ;)
 I love you all so much! You are such a wonderful and fantastic family. I feel your prayers and support every day. I couldn't do this without your help! Please help the missionaries in your area when you can! 

Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Jensen :)


No comments:

Post a Comment