Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week Two in Kalamazoo 8.11.14

Dear Family,                                                                                         August 11, 2014

This past week FLEW by. I can't believe all that happened this past week! When I first entered the mission field, I was told that missionary work is a lot of meetings. Boy, were they right! Thankfully, I love meetings because the Spirit there is always amazing!

We had MLC (Mission Leadership Council) on Tuesday which was great. We got a ride in the Zone Leader's truck and headed out to East Lansing for our meeting. It was great to be surrounded by so many powerhouse missionaries! I love their wisdom and it definitely helped me see how I can do better as a leader and as a missionary. (It was nothing new but sometimes we just forget the little things. :)

I went on my first trade off this week! What an experience. It was very eye opening to say the least. I learned several very important lessons: 1) All people really need is someone to listen to them. 2) Happiness and fulfillment as a missionary, in life, etc. come through exact obedience. 3) When in doubt, point people to Jesus Christ. I feel like Heavenly Father put me in this position so I could learn more than anything; learn how to be a better missionary, learn to listen to and use the Spirit, learn to love people/other missionaries, learn how to give correction, learn to be more obedient. I am noticing more and more how much further I have yet to go as a missionary and a person. Thankfully I still have some time left. :)

Sister Cunningham and I are doing great. Not going to lie, trade offs made me appreciate Sister Cunningham five million times more. She is such a diligent and obedient missionary. We are struggling right now to have people to teach. We found a person door knocking this week which was a miracle. We don't have a lot of success door knocking, but with nobody being on campus, we have no choice but to spend all day, every day door knocking. We were knocking a complex and we met Alycia. We taught her the first part of the Plan of Salvation last week and we're going back tomorrow to finish it. I have some high hopes for her. 

We've been teaching Bin (pronounced "bean") as well. He came to church yesterday which was a relief. He wants to know if God is there. No matter what our lesson starts out as, we end up talking about how to receive revelation through the Holy Ghost. We're hoping that we can help him see how God has been answering his prayers. Bin knows that baptism is important but we don't think it's clicked in his heart yet. He asked us yesterday if he should get baptized and we told him that we want him to get baptized not because we want him to and because he should but because he feels that he should. I am praying so hard that his heart is open to the feelings of the Spirit. The Spirit really is the only way to know truth. Even Alma who saw an angel needed the truth confirmed by the Spirit (Alma 5:45-46).

I love my branch! I wish that every unit in the church could feel what I felt as I attended church yesterday. I have never seen as much faith and love as I have in this branch. I am in constant shock because these people who have only been members for a couple months speak with the Spirit and have so much faith in the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I count myself more than lucky that I get to be strengthened by their testimonies every week. 

I'm still sweating a ton and I have blisters on my feet from walking so much but I count myself lucky to be here at this time. My mission will mean everything to me! It has changed me forever. I love you all so much! Enjoy your last pieces of summer! This is Christ's church! This is his work! Keep calm and trust in the Lord! 

Love from Kzoo,
Sister Jensen


No comments:

Post a Comment