Sunday, May 4, 2014

Verbal Mashed Potatoes, April 28th, 2014

Dear Family,                                                                                         April 28, 2104
First, before I forget (and I always do) I got my Easter package!  I'm pretty sure that Sister Mortensen got enough candy to supply us until Halloween but I really appreciate having a little stash in my desk. Thank you so much for the package! It brightened my Easter. :)

Weeks are FLYING. Can you believe that transfer calls are this Friday?? I can't believe that this transfer is already done! The last transfer felt like an ETERNITY but I loved this transfer. Sister Harris thinks that I will get transferred but I am kind of hoping that I don't because missionary work in Rockford is finally getting fun! Working with Sister Harris and Sister Mortensen has been a tremendous blessing! We had a lot of our key indicators up from last week. We now have THREE new investigators and we got quite a few referrals from the members that we need to check up on. We have seen so many miracles through contacting and through the members. We have seen an outpouring of love from our members (probably because our stake president is really pushing for member missionary work) and they are making a critical difference in The Work. I feel so blessed to be here in Rockford in the Grand Rapids Ward in the Grand Rapids Stake! 
With all the success that we've been having, Satan is working and boy, is he WORKIN'. Before my mission, Prideful Afton thought that bashing with people would be fun and of course when Prideful Afton bashes with them and they see the infallible logic and they will want to be converted. Ehn, wrongo-bongo. I will be SO HAPPY if for the rest of my mission I never get bashed again. Usually once a week, we knock into someone who has a beef and tries to bash and we end up dismissing ourselves. This past week, within five days we got bashed four times. HARD. Twice, we were in tears afterwards. After one night in particular, I remarked to my companions, "I may not have mashed potatoes thrown at my head like the sister in Elder Holland's talk but I will have had my fair share of 'verbal mashed potatoes' thrown at me by the end of my mission." We met with a member recently and he told us that the Atonement is absolutely essential to be a missionary not just because we're weak and we fall short and need to repent but because we need the strength of the Atonement everyday. We have the ability to pray and say, "Heavenly Father, what that person said to me today really hurt me. It made me angry and sad. Please give me the strength of the Atonement to have increased love for them and please take away these feelings from my heart." I have never leaned so much of the strength of Jesus Christ as I have on my mission. Truly it is through the grace of Jesus Christ that we can even be missionaries. We've been listening to "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox as a companionship and I love what he says, "Elder Bruce C. Hafen has written, 'The Savior’s gift of grace to us is not necessarily limited in time to ‘after’ all we can do. We may receive his grace before, during and after the time when we expend our own efforts.' So grace is not a booster engine that kicks in once our fuel supply is exhausted. Rather, it is our constant energy source. It is not the light at the end of the tunnel but the light that moves us through the tunnel." I know that it is because of the grace of Jesus Christ that I can do what I do day in and day out. What a blessing.
Let's end on a happy note. We felt impressed to see Sister H. this week. Sister H. is a convert of about three years. She is as black as they come and we love her to death. We asked her about her conversion story and we asked her how she felt about Jesus Christ and she told us, "We think we ain't worthy but he says 'you is' and that means a lot." I couldn't have said it any better! Sister H.'s granddaughter who isn't a member (yet) was there as well. I pulled out my planner to look at something and saw that we had put down a goal to get a member -present lesson that day. I saw that and the thought came,"The granddaughter could be that member-present lesson." So we taught her a lesson! And we have a return appointment with her for this Wednesday! God has been so good to us this week!
I really love being a missionary! I don't know if I could have said that a month ago but I am beginning to see the incredible happiness that comes from participating in the Work of the Lord. Heavenly Father can truly make our weaknesses strengths and He can help us become even more than we imagined we could be. We are so blessed and I hope you see that everyday. 
Stay safe and have a fantastic week!
Sister Jensen (the Michiganary)


No comments:

Post a Comment