Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Left Leg, BROKEN! 10.13.14

Dear Family,

Actually, it's my left foot but the Brian Regan reference seemed more appropriate haha. I became that missionary last Monday, the missionary to ruin it for all other missionaries. I broke my foot playing ultimate frisbee. Classic, right? I went up for a catch and came down on the side of my foot. I couldn't catch myself fast enough so my foot kept rolling to a chorus of popping and snapping. I looked at the sisters close to me and said, "Did you hear that??"  They looked at me with horrified faces, "Yeah, are you okay??" Honestly, it didn't hurt that bad so I stood up and walked of the field. I started doing stretches and what not, thinking that I had just rolled it, and continued to watch the game. The longer I sat there, the more it hurt. By the time we were leaving I couldn't walk on it. When we got home I discovered the nicest goose egg on the side of my foot (see picture one).
 I called Sister Jacobsen who then told me to call President Jacobsen (being a football/athletic director for his career, he's seen quite a few foot injuries). I described the injury and he said that I probably had a bad sprain and that he would look at it after MLC the following day. 

After MLC (Tuesday) he asked, "So it hurts through here and here?" And I said, "No, it actually hurts here and here." He was not too happy about that. He re-wrapped my foot and told me to go to the doctor in a couple days if it wasn't feeling better. 

On Wednesday, my foot was all pretty sort of colors, swollen to the size of a small wiener dog (see picture 3), and I still couldn't put weight on it. I looked at Sister Fehlman and said, "I think we should go to an urgent care today."
Thankfully, we found a member who could drive us and the urgent care wasn't busy so we were seen right away. The doctor took one look at it and said, "You probably broke it and we don't have the facilities here to treat that. You need to go to the emergency room." Our member had left to go do some errands so we had quite the adventure crutching our way to the ER across the street. We eventually made it and got to spend the afternoon in the ER. Eventually they took films and dun-du-duh! I broke the fifth tarsal or metatarsal of my foot. I now have a fancy shoe to wear while the swelling goes down and I have an appointment with an orthopedist on Wednesday. Fun times, right? 

I have to keep reminding myself that Heavenly Father knew that I would break my foot and He's provided ways for me to still be productive. It's been a trial this past week and it will probably be a trial for a while longer. But this morning I read this scripture in Mosiah. Mosiah 23: 21-22 reads: "Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day." It's funny that a broken bone would try my patience and faith but it's been the perfect trial to do that haha. Sometimes I think it would be better to just shoot me (President told me that they do that to lame horses) but there has to be a way for me to make it through. Today's trial is tomorrow's triumph; today's test is tomorrow's testimony. :)

The work is going well! The elders had two baptisms on Saturday which was nice. I don't remember much from my baptism so it's a great opportunity to ponder on the significance of that covenant and the blessings that are available to those who enter into that covenant. Sister Fehlman and I are doing a lot of finding and we're teaching a lot of first lessons. We have three first-lessons planned for today and we are trying hard to find our covenant keeper. Bin still won't commit to a baptismal date but we're getting really hopeful that something will happen soon. Bin told his girlfriend that he's thinking of being baptized (news to us even though we've asked him like five times if he'll be baptized...) so maybe there's a lot more happening that we don't see. I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers, always in His way and His timing. 

I am so grateful to be a missionary! I can't help but feel gratitude for all of the lessons I'm learning and all the experiences that I get to have. I feel so blessed to have these precious 18 months to work so closely with Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful for the trials and sacrifices He asks of me. I know He always has my back.

I love you all so much. I am so grateful for all of you. I couldn't imagine the work without your support. You don't know how much I truly need it. I gloat about my amazing family all the time. You truly are the best of the best of the best.

Have a wonderful week!!

Love,
Sister Jensen :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment