Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Door Knocking with Friends 7.7.14

Dear Family!                                                                                                                                         July 7, 2014
Mondays are always the best days because I'm never disappointed to hear about your adventures! Girls camp sounded like so much fun!! I wish someone would feed me rattlesnake.... Mom, you definitely ended your Girls camp streak with a bang. But it wouldn't surprise me if you got a new stake calling soon......
Three Sis. Jensens
I had an experience this week that taught me the power of prayer and that God has a fantastic sense of humor. For those of you who have served missions, the days/weeks can turn into "Groundhog Day" sometimes. I was sitting at our table contemplating that I hadn't had really anything interesting to write about in my journal recently so kind of jokingly I sent up a little prayer in which I said, "Heavenly Father, it would be nice to have something to write about in my journal tonight." AND GUESS WHAT. He answered it. Sister Brockbank and I were out door knocking and we noticed some kids staring at us. That's not too unfamiliar so we kept going. We walked back down the driveway and noticed they were closer. And they were getting progressive closer. We knocked on another door and turned around and they were RIGHT behind us. So we called out to them and talked to them. They were 9, 8, and 7 years old and probably BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS because they asked us if they could come door knocking with us! So we took three kids door knocking with us! Let me tell you, kids have NO SHAME. They would run up to the door, knock, ring the doorbell and look in the side windows and tell us what was in their house even before we got to the door. And then people would answer and see two tall girls with three kids which was probably really confusing. So I would begin the door approach: "Hi I'm Sister Jensen and this is Sister Brockbank and we're representatives of Jesus Christ. These are our.... friends. They also love Jesus Christ."  It was a weird experience but definitely memorable and fun! It saved us time too because the kids would tell us who wasn't home for the holiday and we'd skip that house. Heavenly Father answered my prayer and gave me something to write about in my journal. And yes, I did in fact write it in my journal. :)

Our Fourth was pretty sweet. We did our weekly planning and then stopped by some less active members and investigators. We went to a member's house for dinner and had a great barbeque. We then went with a couple other families to another member's house to light off fireworks. Our curfew was extended until 10:30pm which was good because it wasn't dark until 10pm. It was so wonderful. It was pretty much the Fourth of July scene out of "The Sandlot". Rockford is a "Norman Rockwell Town" with it's very traditional small-town, American feel. The night was cooler but the sky was clear. The fireworks created an almost nostalgic feeling. When we walked back to our car that night, I just felt so happy- Happy to be in a simple place enjoying simple things. Rockford will always have
a place in my heart. I love it here. 
The work is going great. It's been a rough week with the holiday but we are determined to get the ball rolling and the font filled! Progression is our focus right now. I am grateful that Heavenly Father has blessed us with people to teach but now it's time to get them taking those steps back to God. Whenever I start getting frustrated about cancelled appointments and agency, I think that Satan had the same idea. That cools me right down. A mission has given me a unique perspective on how God must feel about us sometimes. He probably smacks His head watching me, saying, "Sister Jensen. What are you doing? Why- why- why did you do that? If only you would have-" Thankfully His patience isn't an account we can exhaust. It is infinite. Phew. 
I hope you're all enjoying your summer! I am L-O-V-I-N-G all of it. I'll send you some pictures from a nature walk we took this morning. SO PRETTY!! As someone told us this week, "Michigan is God's hand print on the United States." Get it? Michigan looks like a hand. Anyway, I love you all SO MUCH! Have a fantastic week!!
Lovely Michigan

Love,

Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment